Charlotte “Chichi” Maponya and Happy Ntshingila have been retained the positions within the Brand SA Board as chairperson and deputy chairperson respectively.
This emerged from a government announcement yesterday which released a host of new names for the Brand SA Board. Appointed by Pesident Jacob Zuma, the Brand SA Board of Trustees has a mandate of promoting the South African brand identity locally and abroad.
Brand SA was established in 2002 as the International Marketing Council . The primary objective of Brand SA is to develop and implement a proactive and co-ordinated international marketing and communication strategy for South Africa.
“From the period of the struggle against apartheid to the dawn of freedom, our brand remains strong and visible. Regardless of challenges we have faced recently, our brand has remained strong and we have a responsibility to nurture and build it further. It is an important resource for the attraction of investments and partnerships that will contribute to our mission of creating jobs and improving the quality of life for all,’’ said President Zuma.
The newly appointed Trustees are:
1. Mr Miller Matola, CEO of Brand SA
2. Mr Mninawe Pepi Silinga, CEO of Coega Development Corporation.
3. Mr Ryland Fisher, CEO Ryland Fisher Communications and former editor of the Cape Times and New Age.
4. Mr Connie Molusi, Chairman of the Sishen Iron Ore Community Development Trust and former CEO of Avusa Media.
5. Mr Thebe Ikalafeng, founder and managing director of the Brand Leadership Group and vice-chairman of the Brand Council of South Africa.
6. Ms Paula Fray, founder and managing director of Frayintermedia and former editor of the Saturday Star.
7. Ms Phumelele Nzimande, currently a Commissioner in the Public Service Commission and former top executive at the SABC responsible for corporate affairs, communications, international relations and human resources. She has also previously served as head of postal policy at the Department of Communications.
8. Mr Deon Huysamer, Chair of Global Business Excellence.
9. Mr Mzimkhulu Malunga, CEO Urban Brew and former MD of BDFM Publishers, publishers of Business Day and Financial Mail publications.
10. Mr Rick Mennell, Chairman of Tourism Entreprise Partnership and a non-executive director at Gold Fields.
11. Mr Zwelibanzi Mntambo, Deputy Chairperson of the South African Tourism Board.
12. Mr Ralph Mupita, CEO Old Mutual Emerging Markets.
13. Mr Stavrous Nicolaou, Senior Executive responsible for Strategic Development at Aspen Pharma.
The new members will join the following existing members of the Board:
I. Dr Cassius Lubisi, Director-General in the Presidency
II. Mr Danny Jordan, Former CEO of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa and South African Football Association.
III. Mr Sandile Zungu, MD, ZICO Investments
IV. Mr Wayne Morris, CEO Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition.
V. Mr Geoffrey Rothschild, Head: Government & International Relations, Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
VI. Mr Ajay Gupta, Sahara Holdings.
VII. Mr Moss Leoka, Chairman: ALTEC and Director: Breezepower
- Ms Ramasela Magoele, CFO Broadband Infraco.
IX. Ms Sindisiwe Mabaso-Koyana, Board member of SA Institute of Chartered Accountants.
X. Mr Timothy Scholtz, COO South African Tourism.
The following Trustees will represent their government departments:
- Ms Phumla Williams, Deputy CEO of GCIS
- Ms Pumla Ncapayi, Deputy Director-General Trade and Investment SA, Department of Trade and Industry
- Mr Clayson Monyela, Deputy Director-General Public Diplomacy at the Department of International Relations and Cooperation.