FNB is clearly prompting its clients to buy gold via the Krugarrand option for gifting purposes but with a subtle investment angle. That is if the banks latest media release is anything to go by.
In a statement released today FNB positions the Krugerrand as a “perfect gift for your loved ones”. Investing in a worthwhile gift like a Krugerrand could help you reap the benefits in the long term, says the statement. “Krugerrands are the easiest way to own gold, which is the most widely known and actively traded gold bullion in the world.”
The statement quotes Aneesa Razack, CEO of FNB Share Investing, saying “Gold has generally held its status as an investment haven in times of global uncertainty, disparate economic growth across countries and particularly when geopolitics takes centre stage as they have done in recent years. For some investors gold is a sentimental purchase, while for those who are generally sceptical of financial markets, Krugerrands provide a sense of comfort about the safety of their investment,” says Krugerrands are the ideal gift in more than one sense:
- Krugerrands are linked to the international value of gold, which means that the investment is protected from local currency volatility and devaluation and therefore a true global investment you can rely on.
- Gold is considered a safe haven because of its properties as both a hedge against inflation, and its pricing in dollars – the reserve currency globally.
- Krugerrands have proven to be a valuable investment choice as the value of 1 ounce of a Krugerrand has increased by more than 870% between January 2000 and January 2018 – outperforming all other asset classes, while the price of gold has increased by roughly 370% over the same period.
- Krugerrands are also VAT zero rated and attract no trading fees, ultimately lowering transaction costs. There are, however, custody fees of 0.86% per year based on the value of your investment holding in Krugerrands and a monthly account fee, just like most banking products.
The statement also notes that in February last year Rand Refinery Ltd recorded the highest output of Krugerrand coins in 23 years.
“The demand for gold has been increasing, with developing economies accounting for two thirds of the growth in demand, led by China and India. Gold mine supply is expected to peak in the near future. This may well lead to an increase in gold prices, a view that is supported by a few big global players like Goldman Sachs who recently revised their gold price forecasts upwards,” says Razack.
The statement adds that FNB’s digital platforms have made it easier for customers to track and buy Krugerrands and other investments.
Here’s how to buy Krugerrands from the FNB digital platform:
- Log onto www.fnb.co.za
- Click on the share + Gold Tab
- Click on My Portfolio tab on the left hand side of the screen
- Click Krugerrands under Buy heading
- Select the account
- The system will provide you with estimated quote of the amount of coins you want to buy based on the funds in the account
- Click on Buy on the type of coins you want to buy
- Enter the amount of coins you want to buy
It must be said that readers need to exercise caution when considering this promotion for investment purposes. Seek advise from a professional.