The award ceremony of the 2012 Oliver Empowerment Awards was held last week and recognized 16 local companies and individuals for their role in advancing the transformation of the South African economy through broad-based black economic empowerment (BBBEE).
The ceremony held at the Emperors Palace in Johannesburg started on high note with the Lifetime Achievement Award being given to respected businessman Mark Headbush. Hailing from the EC where he left a trail of entrepreneurial activity, Headbush developed to venture into the ICT space as it was taking off in South Africa and played a role in the making of E TV.
“Mark has made an incredibly positive impact not only in the area of black economic empowerment but also in the South African business arena as a whole. He is a notable and remarkable business leader who embodies the principals of empowerment, entrepreneurship and transformation. He is totally deserving of this Lifetime Achievement Award after a lifetime dedicated to transformation and equal opportunity,” publisher of Impumelelo, Ralf Fletcher said.
“All entries underwent a rigorous judging process and had to meet eight preset criteria. Most importantly, the winners clearly demonstrated that they had integrated transformation as part of their business processes and not considered it a silo imperative that was activated and paraded for procurement and business development purposes only. The merits of this approach is evident in the business’ sustained success and worthy of celebration,” said Fletcher said.
The winners lists came as follows:
- Empowerment Funding Award: Absa Group
- Education and Training Award: Dormac
- Supply Chain Management Award: Netcare
- Corporate Leadership Award: SizweNtsalubaGobodo
- Community Development Award: Netcare
- New Black Business Development Award: Netcare
- Diversity Award: Lion of Africa Insurance Company
- Top Black Entrepreneur of the Year Award: Bongi-M Construction cc – Ms Sibongile Maseko
- Top Black Business Leader of the Year Award: Sizwe Ntsaluba Gobodo Inc. – Ms Nonkululeko Gobodo
- Top Black Public Sector Executive Award: SAMSA – Commander Tsietse Mokhele
- Top Black Owned Business of the Year Award: Lebone Engineering
- Top Empowered Business of the Year Award: SizweNtsalubaGobodo Inc
- Top Black Owned SMME Award: Molobeng Mining Labour Hire and Projects SA
- Public Service Award: SAMSA
- Top Empowered Multinational Award: Microsoft South Africa
- NGO of the Year Award: Zenzele Training and Development